Blaenau Gwent is proud of its heritage and industrial past. Throughout the Borough are buildings, monuments and landscapes that reflect the importance of industry from the Industrial Revolution to the closure of our last colliery, Marine Colliery in Cwm in March 1989.
Memories of the past are found dotted around the Borough for visitors and residents to remember the past and to enjoy.
Ty Nest Llywelyn
On the north-west bank of Cwmtillery Lake are the remains of a substantial post-Medieval, stone farmhouse, standing on a large platform cut into the hill and aligned west to east. This site was identified by Lord Raglan and Cllr W. F. Deasy as the remains of Ty Nest Llewellyn or Nest John Rosser. . .Read more
Trefil Rail Road
The Trefil Rail Road was constructed in 1793 (Rattenbury, 64) to carry limestone from the Trefil Quarries to the ironworks at Beaufort (est. 1780) and Ebbw Vale (est. 1790). A branch line was constructed from Beaufort Ironworks to Cwm Gwybedog and partly underlies Raglan Terrace. . .Read more
Tredegar Town Clock
In the centre of the Circle stands Tredegar Town Clock the symbolic heart of the Town.
The true estimate of the cost of the Clock is disputed, some sources quote £500, others £1,000, but it was due to the efforts of the Manager of Tredegar Ironworks, Mr R. P. Davies and his wife that it was constructed. . .Read more
The Nantyglo Roundhouse complex is a unique relic of the Industrial Revolution. It was built in about 1816 by Joseph and Crawshay Bailey, the Ironmasters of the Nantyglo Ironworks, as a defended refuge against armed revolt by their workforce. In effect, it was the last private castle built in Britain. . .Read more
The Chartist's Cave is located in a prominent knoll to the east of Garn Fawr round cairn on the open, exposed moorland of Trefil Las at SO 1276 1523. The original name of the cave seems to have been Tylles Fawr (the Great Hole). . .Read more
Bryn Oer Tramroad
The Bryn Oer Tramroad was constructed between September 1814 and April 1815 to connect the Bryn Oer coal patches and Trefil quarries with the Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal at Talybont on Usk. . .Read more
Bedwellty House and Park
At the heart of Britain's social history
Bedwellty House is a listed Regency villa in Tredegar. It is surrounded by a historic garden that was established in the early 19th century for the Master of Tredegar Iron Works. . .Read more
Aberbeeg Packhorse Bridge
Although covered with a concrete surface and a modern handrail and fence, the Aberbeeg Bridge is a well-preserved example of a 17th century packhorse bridge and comprises single-span, stone-built arch some 10.5m long, 2.2m wide. . .Read more