Medieval Blaenau Gwent
In the Middle Ages, Blaenau Gwent was divided between the ancient Welsh kingdoms of Gwent and Gwynllwg. It was the scene of fierce fighting between the Norman Marcher Lords and the native Welsh Princes. This history is reflected in surviving buildings and ancient monuments.
St Illtyd's Church
St Illtyd's church is without doubt the oldest standing building within the County Borough of Blaenau Gwent. Although currently dedicated to St Illtyd, the original dedication of the church was to St. Heledd or Hyledd, as evidenced by parish lists of the 16th and 17th centuries. . .Read more
Since the 18th century, two large mounds in the field behind the Carpenter’s Arms and the old Castle Inn have attracted the attention of antiquaries. In 1779, Edmund Jones suggested that the name Castell Taliorum was derived from a Latin name Castrum Italorum, meaning the “fort of the Italians”. . .Read more