Libraries Poetry & Short Story Competition 2020
Following on from the success of last year's inaugural creative writing competition, our Blaenau Gwent Libraries Service are once again running a Short Story and Poetry Competition for people of all ages across the County Borough.
The theme for this year's competition is A Welsh Connection, and it's split into three categories:
Children’s Short Story Competition
Children must be aged 12 or under to enter this competition, their short stories must be a maximum of 1,000 words and be on a theme of A Welsh Connection. This competition is FREE to enter.
Prizes will be awarded for 1st, 2nd and 3rd places and will include a goody bag and book tokens.
Adult Short Story Competition
Entrants must be aged 16 or over and write a maximum of 1,500 words using the theme of A Welsh Connection. There is no limit to the number of entries per person, but there is a fee of £5 per adult short story submitted.
Prizes for this category will be: 1st Place - Sue White Award and £50, 2nd Prize £25 and 3rd Prize £20.
Adult Poetry Competition
Entrants must be aged 16 or over and write a poem on the theme of A Welsh Connection. There is no limit to the number of entries per person, but there is a fee of £5 per adult poem submitted.
The closing date for all entries is Sunday 1st March 2020, all entries will be read and judged by Professor Anne Rowe, with the winners being invited to attend a special Awards Ceremony at Ebbw Vale Library on Monday 18th May 2020.
- Each entry must be on a theme of A Welsh Connection.
- Entries must not have been previously published.
- Adults must be aged 16 or over, children must be aged 12 or under.
- The author’s name, address, email and telephone number must be written on a separate piece of paper.
- Adult stories must be a maximum of 1,500 words, children’s stories must be a maximum of 1,000 words.
- Entries will be read and judged anonymously by Professor Anne Rowe.
- Entries will not be returned, so please keep a copy for yourself. No corrections or alterations can be made once the entry has been submitted.
- The judge’s decision is final.
- Winners must be available to attend the Winners Presentation Event on Monday 18th May 2020, failure to attend will result in the prize being forfeited.
- All winning entries will be displayed during the Award Ceremony and in Ebbw Vale Library.
How to Enter
In Person: Take your entry and fee (where applicable) along to any library in Blaenau Gwent and hand it in to the staff.
By Email: Send your entries to firstname.lastname@example.org – once your entry is submitted, you’ll be directed to a payment screen.
By Post: Post your entry and entry fee to: Ebbw Vale Library, 21 Bethcar Street, Ebbw Vale, NP23 6HH. Cheques should be made payable to: pinc
For more information on the competition, please call Ebbw Vale Library on 01495 355055.